Monday, April 5, 2010

Blogging from A to Z...Today's Letter...D for Dreams...Crazy Dreams!


Good evening folks! I decided to do a post on the creepy dreams that I often have. I am extremely frightened of spiders. As a matter of fact, I can handle snakes and mice more than I can spiders. I think that this fear was influenced by my mom; she is terrified of spiders. In fact, when I was a kid, we were all at a family reunion in a park and she was sitting under a tree, on a picnic table, with my little sister (who was a baby at the time). A spider dropped down from said tree and my mom ran off screaming, leaving my little sister on the table in her carrier, with the spider! Needless to say, after my dad went over and moved my sister, everyone razzed her about it. This was the reaction that I often saw and I've been scared of spiders ever since. Spiders, being the one thing that I fear (possibly more than death, unless said death involves spiders), often make appearances in my dreams. I've scared everyone in the household because I'll wake up thinking that spiders are crawling all around the room, making their way to me. I've ran into doors, tables, stumbled over shoes, and my own feet trying to get away from imaginary spiders. As I type this, I laugh because I know that it is only a dream. However, in that moment, the moment where I'm falling out of bed, tangled up in sheets, there is nothing scarier in my life.

When trying to understand what these dreams could possibly mean, I found a website called Dream Moods. This is what I found:
To see a spider in your dream, indicates that you are feeling like an outsider in some situation. Or that you may want to keep your distance and  stay away from an alluring and tempting situation.  The spider is also symbolic of feminine power. Alternatively, a spider may refer to a powerful force protecting you against  your self-destructive behavior. If you kill a spider, it symbolizes misfortune and general bad luck.
To see a spider spinning a web in your dream, signifies that you will be rewarded for your hard work. You will soon find yourself promoted in your job or recognized for your achievement in a difficult task.  Spiders are a symbol of creativity due to the intricate webs they spin. On a negative note, spiders may indicate a feeling of being entangled or trapped in a sticky or clingy relationship. It represents some ensnaring and controlling force. You may feel that someone or some situation is sucking the life right out of you. Alternatively, if a spider is spinning a web in your dream, then it could be a metaphor for the world wide web and global communication.
To see a spider climbing up a wall in your dream, denotes that your desires will soon be realized.
To dream that you are bitten by a spider, represents a conflict with your mother or some dominant female figure in your life. The dream may be a metaphor for a devouring mother or the feminine power to possess and entrap. Perhaps you are feeling trapped by some relationship. 
Since I never see them spinning webs, I'm never bitten and I never kill them, the only points that apply are the ones about simply seeing a spider and spiders climbing walls. So it makes me look at my current situation; do I feel like an outsider? Possibly, but that's been something that I've carried for many, many years. I've been a loner, so it's not too surprising that I'd feel like an outsider. This site makes me think about any behaviors I have that could be seen as destructive. I'm not the healthiest person, so maybe that's manifesting itself in my dreams? I find the whole feminine power aspect real interesting; am I afraid of my own power? Running away form what I can be? Most definitely food for thought. Of course, the other point, spiders climbing walls, leaves me feeling hopeful. There is so much I want to do in life and I've been feeling like this is my year to really get to work on accomplishing certain goals, so maybe these goals "will soon be realized." Thinking about my spider dreams in this way makes them seem harmless, less frightening.

But, um, I'm still afraid of those creepy crawly things...what are you afraid of?

6 comments:

  1. I don'tlike spiders very much, so I can sympathise with you on this one, Great to read.

    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, spiders. I've had two instances in my life where LOTS of spiders were involved. Once we were canoeing and ran our canoe into a spider nest. They came pouring into the boat! Talk about going crazy. (smile). The next time I was at a scouting event with my youngest son and he and some of his friends found a huge nest of Daddy Long Legs (not sure of the proper name) and the threw them on me! I made a fool of myself spinning around, screaming, flailing, etc. LOL. Wasn't funny then, but I can laugh now. In spite of those things, I wouldn't pick spiders as something I'm afraid of.
    I try not to give voice to my fears because I don't want to give them power. Great post though. I enjoyed it. I do hope you can overcome this fear. :)

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like dreams and the study of dreaming. I frequently have posted on this topic on Fridays. I really don't take too much stock in dream interpretation books as I believe the language of dream symbols is very personal and can vary among us.
    The dream that instills the most fear in me is being confined to a very tight place and unable to move. I suppose it probably symbolizes death.

    Lee
    Blogging From A to Z April Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. My spidey senses are tingly after this post. Dreams are always curious! I think they are blips of things that happened during the day in a
    Alice in Wonderland type vibe. Interesting post~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa,

    Thanks for visiting and commenting! I would have lost my mind if I had been in that canoe, lol! They would have committed me in a hospital because that would have been too much to handle! I'm thinking I'll get over this fear at some point; I have to rationalize it and make sense of it before that'll happen, though.

    Hi Lee,

    You're right; dreams are definitely open to interpretation. I enjoy this type of thing, though; it is fun to read =) Thanks for commenting and sharing!

    Hi Ellie,

    Thanks for commenting! I think that it is very possible that our dreams, especially the crazy ones, have something to do with the day's events. Something that we picked up on subconsciously, perhaps, that manifested itself in our dreams. Very interesting stuff!

    Thanks again for leaving your comments everyone!

    bc

    ReplyDelete